Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Golfinger.

I never liked golf. I remember making fun of my dad and asking him why he didn't play a "real sport".

But lately I've been getting interested, and figured out that the game is a lot more skillful and challenging than it seems. I've wanted to learn how to play since last year, but then life got in the way. (Gosh, I sound like one of those old farts who play gol...I mean...well...moving on...)

So when a friend invited me to a driving range last week, my hands began shaking with excitement, and I was beside myself with euphoria, and...just kidding, I said "Sure, okay, why not?"in a very casual manner. 

This isn't just any driving range though. It's the Chelsea Pier, an immense multi-storeyed netted structure sticking out into the Hudson River, giving you a beautiful view as you, well, in my case...suck at golf. 

I stepped up, took my stance, kept my knees bent and my elbows straight...and missed. More than a few times. Got frustrated, contemplated giving up, and then decided to try one more shot. 

And it happened. I swung, and watched it go sailing through the air in a perfect arc with just the right elevation, landing about 50 metres away. 

I'm talking about my 9 Iron, of course. The ball stayed at my feet. Got a few high-fives from bystanders for that one. 

But the nice people at the pretty driving range gave me a new club and I managed to actually hit the ball a few times with it! 

So all in all it was a good maiden golfing thingy. My number one takeaway - Launch your first club into outer space, the second one they give you will work wonders. 


Maybe next time I'll use the 5 Iron. From what I understand, that one goes even further! 

4 comments:

  1. Very nice Rish, even though I dread losing one more family member to this wonderful game....oh well, if you cant beat them, join them.....maybe the 9 Iron sounds interesting after all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe a sleeker one will hit the spot where the golf ball is supposed to go, so keep trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written Rishi..me too always wonder how does one enjoy the game of golf!!

    ReplyDelete